The Institute for Regional and International Studies is made up of area studies centers and the International Studies Major at UW–Madison. IRIS offers a host of opportunities to engage with international issues and research frontiers on campus and beyond.
“Trump’s America in the World” (Oct. 23rd)
Philip Gourevitch, Staff writer for The New Yorker and author of We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda and The Ballad of Abu Ghraib
Monday, October 23rd, 2017, Pyle Center, Alumni Lounge, 702 Langdon Street, Madison
6:30-7:00 pm: Public reception with light appetizers
7:00-8:00 pm: Lecture followed by a book signing which will be facilitated by A Room of One’s Own Bookstore.
Click HERE for more information.
IRIS International Film Series (Nov. 14th-19th)
In celebration of International Education week, IRIS has selected films from around the world for the first annual IRIS International Film Series. From mainstream to independent, these films share triumphs and tribulations of peoples across the globe while shedding light on their unique cultures. Some of these films were even written or produced by, or feature, UW alumni, staff, faculty, and students. Don’t miss these films, curated by the IRIS area studies centers.
Click HERE for more information and a complete line up with details.
Tuesday, 11/14: A United Kingdom, Marquee Theatre @ 7:00 pm
Wednesday, 11/15: Woven Lives, Chazen @ Noon
Thursday 11/16: Among Wolves, Cinemateque @ 7:00 pm
Friday, 11/17: New Year Baby, Edgewood College @ 7:00 pm
Saturday, 11/18: From the Land of Gandhi, Sun Prairie Library @ Noon
Sunday, 11/19: Excuse My French, Eagle Heights Community Center @ Noon
REGIONAL CENTER CALENDARS
- 11/29/17 Africa at Noon with Erdmute Alber West African Migration to Germany
- 11/30/17 "The Source of Strength: Shakti and Formations of the Feminine through the Image of the Goddess-Woman" Nkoyo Edoho-Eket (PhD Candidate, Asian Languages and Cultures, UW-Madison)
- 11/30/17 CREECA Fall Lecture Series "Russian Migration Legislation, Re-entry Bans and Their Meaning for Transnational Tajik Migrants"
- 12/01/17 Center for Southeast Asian Studies Friday Forum Lecture Series Sinae Hyun, "Disenchanted: American Cold War Missions in Thailand through the Stories of the Young Family"
- 12/04/17 Forum on North Korea Historians and political scientists discuss the implications of recent tensions between the U.S. and North Korea